Surface fishing for Carp

If you have not tried surface fishing for Carp you are missing out on a really fantastic and exciting method of Carp fishing There is nothing like seeing the big swirl around your bait and then that slurping sound as your surface bait is taken by what is usually the larger than average Carp.

I have tried many methods of surface fishing and can tell you they all work and one of the most interesting facts is that the Carp you catch are usually bigger that what you will take from a bottom bait, I don't know why this is but previous experience has always shown me when I take a Carp from the surface its a nice one and bigger then the average bear !.

We can use many different types of baits for surface fishing, dog biscuits, pop-up boilies, ready made floaters specially prepared with delicious flavours, the list is endless all of these works but my favourite is the old trusted bread crust. I have caught more Carp on floating bread than any other method and to set this up is really simple, I will explain this for you in a moment.

I see many anglers using what we call the 'controller float' this is simply a float that is heavily weighted for casting distance and we have a 3 to 4ft tail with our bait usually sitting on the surface behind the float. Now, don't get me wrong this is a good method you can cast virtually anywhere but I have always found one major problem with this method the float will not stay in the prime area where you want it, especially if its a windy day, you know the spot by the Lillie pads where you have catapulted those free offerings and those carp are taking them like food is going out of fashion!.

I decided it was time for a change and tried something so simple it just could not work, or could it!, yes you are right it worked and it worked so well I could cast my bait out to the exact spot I wanted and it never moved, perfect!.

So, what method did I use, here it is, please do not under estimate this method because its looks to simple I have found this to be very effective whenever I have used it, this is what you do. You setup a simple ledger rig, free running, slide the ledger on to the line, add a ledger stop below the ledger, one side only we need this to be free running and then tie on our hook, for crust fishing I will usually use a size 8 or 6 hook.

Now we start with a tail of about 2 to 3 ft add some bread crust and cast out, id the bread does not rise to the surface our tail is to short and the depth of the water is deeper than 2 or 3 ft. We slide the ledger of another foot, re-cast until we can see the bread floating in top of the water. I have used this method in water that is over 10ft deep, so I had a ten foot tail but can still cast this out easily.

So, now we have our weight sitting on the bottom and out bread floating on the surface, and yes you guessed, it will stay exactly where you cast it, even if there is a Gail force wind!.

Give this method a try, I guarantee you will have great success, there are many more tips on my website here www.fishingGuide4u.com May all your fish be big ones tight lines!

Article written by Steve Kempson, 30 years of fishing experience and a lover of the sport. For more great fishing reviews please visit http://www.fishingguide4u.com/
email - L.kempson@btinternet.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Steve_Kempson

Got your own Experiences you wont to share then contact me at: wetnets@googlemail.com